Thursday 21 March 2013

Dreaming of Sunshine: Squid, Chillies & Garlic

So, it's supposed to be Spring right...?

All week I have been sitting and staring out of my window, and all I can see is grey, now we're being told it is the coldest March on record, like we couldn't tell. Add on some weather related travel dramas to my week and i'm about ready to scream, so in a pre-emptive strike I made what can only be described as pure Summer heaven on a plate. And, like magic it has not only brightened my mood but also reminded me that this time next week myself and my beautiful baby sister will be on a jet plane to spend some quality time relaxing in the gorgeous One&Only Cape Town.

So, to help you to bring some warmth to the end of your working week I present you with...

 Chilli & Garlic Squid and Olive Oil Potatoes. 

The recipe doesn't take many ingredients but boy does it pack a punch. 
What you'll need is:
4 Squid tubes, tentacles on if you can find them, or not for the more squeamish among you
500 grams of new potatoes
3 Garlic cloves
2 Red chillies
Half a red onion, finely sliced
Large handful of parsley
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar

To start what I did was to concertina the squid, now this might look a bit bizarre and a little bit of a faff, but I promise you it makes for some great presentation without even trying and perfectly cooked squid that remains tender. Because I don't know about you but there are few things in this world that I hate more than rubbery squid, just don't do it!



That's my bossy boots moment done, for now...

Once the squid have been prepared I marinade them in a mix of grated garlic, finely chopped chillies (I use 2 but if you want it a little less fiery then you can adjust it to taste) a slug of olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and a teaspoon of hot paprika, just to add some colour.


This can be done in the morning and left until the evening to enhance the flavour or a good hour or two will do the trick.


For the potatoes next I boiled them until just a little overcooked, again bear with me here. About 20-25 minutes in salted water. Then once done drain and add to a hot frying pan in a mix of olive oil and a knob of butter. Let the potatoes catch and turn a delicious golden brown, then add in the finely sliced red onion and let that caramelize too. Then turn the golden mix onto a plate.


Next up the squid. Add a little more olive oil if needed and take the marinated squid and add to the hot pan, cook it quickly and at a high heat along with the marinade. Once these are bronzed return the potatoes and onions to the pan to warm through, add the chopped parsley (as much as you want) and a spritz of lemon for  freshness. 

I like to finish it off with a drizzle of balsamic.


What you're left with is a reminder of the  Mediterranean, hot, spicy and fresh. You can almost hear the sound of the sea. Ideal served with a cold class of white riojas  or a crisp dry sherry.
Just what we all need to remind us Spring is coming. 

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful recipe...I like your blog.^^
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin???
    Let me know follow you then back.
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nessa for you lovely comments, definitely a work in progress.

      Had a look at your blog too, will definitely be on my to read list!

      Laura

      Delete
  2. wowzers - I have never thought of cooking squid like that. Sounds delicious, am definitely going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you sooo much for the follow,dear.^^
    Follow you back on bloglovin.
    Hope you visit my blog again...

    ReplyDelete